The proposal of lowering the drinking from 21 to 18 has been strongly refuted. The opponents of lowering the drinking age believed that the idea is medically irresponsible and it will only invite more individuals to be engaged with alcohol at an early age. They also assumed that it will only pose more danger for underage individuals to be involved with alcohol-related fatalities, accidents, and health complications. Moreover, they also supposed that lowering the drinking age would result to more binge drinking among youth and would even lure them to try illicit drugs.
Apart from the mentioned rebuttals, lowering the drinking age is actually a requisite. Why the drinking age should be lowered? These are some of the numerous good reasons.
1. Drinking age should be lowered to 18 because it is every adult’s right. Adulthood status comes with rights and responsibilities. Adulthood starts at 18, therefore, it is every adult’s right to enjoy alcohol and be responsible with it.
2. The opponents believed that 21 is the right age when a person is mature and responsible enough in handling alcohol. Maturity and responsibility do not come with age; they come with realization, understanding and education.
3. The more the government curtail the underage, the more curiosity they get. By lowering the drinking age, alcohol would turn into less of a taboo, therefore, diminishing the teen’s craving and curiosity. Unsafe and unsupervised drinking will be lessened as well.
4. When drinking is made legal among youth from 18 and above, they would not opt anymore to go underground. Instead, they will go to a regulated environment wherein they could be controlled and guided.
5. The present minimum drinking age is apparently ineffective because a lot minors continue to be engaged with alcohol drinking. It is already timely to change it since the drinking environment had already changed through the years.
6. Drinking age should be lowered because it will help lessen alcohol-related accidents and fatalities. Minors continue to insist about alcohol drinking; might as well, it is only right to lower the drinking age and at the same time, guide and supervise them about responsible drinking.
These are only some of the valid reasons why the drinking age should be lowered. Undoubtedly, it is a necessity in this at present.
Click here to know more about it